Monday, June 21, 2010

Julie and Julia: Apetizing?

Julia Child has always been a funny lady to me. I mean, she's built like a football player and sounds like.. like.. well... like Julia Child. Just click on the link below.

Here's a video from youtube with Julia Child. Watch it, she's hilarious.

And her cooking... just writing this is making me hungry, as did viewing the movie "Julie and Julia." In the opening scene, Meryl Streep as Julia Child eats this fish dish in a restaurant and I just wanted to dive in my HDTV set and steal it from her. Yay for the clarity of Blu Ray huh?

Amy Adams plays the Julie character who is based off of the author of the book in which the movie is based on. Wow, that's a lot.

So, so far we've got a movie where Meryl Streep plays the unique and original Julia Child and also stars Amy Adams, who was so amazing in Enchanted as Giselle.


Just look at her. She is hella adorable and talented.

Produced by Nora Ephron, (aka The Romantic Comedy GODDESSS) the movie juggles two storylines with ease. One is the story of Julia Child and the other is the story of Julie Powell who writes a Julia Child cooking blog in 2002. It's like two movies in one. Doesn't it make you want to watch The Hours? That's like three movies in one.

While each storyline is handled with ease I was starting to grow tired of Julie constantly saying "What would Julia Child do?" or "Julia Child wouldn't do that." Once or twice in the course of the movie would've been good enough. After awhile I was like: Okay, I get it, you're obsessed.

Meryl Streep plays Julia Child flawlessly. Did anyone really doubt she would? I mean, she's not Jennifer Love Hewitt as Audrey Hepburn. That's another issue altogether. Meryl Streep as Julia is funny because the character is written as funny. It's never mocking.

Just imagine if it was like this:



I went into the movie with reservations and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a nice double biography with a nice blending of drama and comedy.

Eat before watching this one. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some comments